Monday, March 25, 2013

3/25 Weekly Post-Race and Stereotypes


In Kuma’s article on cultural stereotypes, stereotypes of Asians are talked about.  The author talks about how people from so many different countries and cultures are all thrown into this category of “Asian”.  This made me think a lot about how a lot of people will refer to people of Latin decent as “Spanish”.  They say things to me like,”oh, you’re Spanish!”.  I always reply,”no, I’m Mexican”, and they say that it’s the same thing.  This drives me nuts.  It is not the same thing.  People from Spain are from an entirely different continent.  Although there may be Spanish influence in Mexico, Mexican and Spanish are not the same thing.  Maybe I am being a little picky or I shouldn’t let it bother me so much, but I don’t like how people just throw around people’s heritage and treat it so carelessly.  I was also surprised to see the three stereotypes about Asians.  I was surprised because I wouldn’t have guessed that those would be the stereotypes people would come up with about Asians.  It is absolutely not okay for teachers to make or even take into consideration these stereotypes.  One thing that is very important to me as a teacher of a diverse population of students is that teachers do not make generalizations or stereotypes and really get to know their students on a personal level.

I was also intrigued by Kubata’s discussion on the social construction of race and how we should question whether the term race should be used as a category for scholarly investigation and discussion.  This really intrigued me and got me thinking about the term race.  There are so many different combinations of race and people are made up of so many different things.  So, should we be using the term race?  Are we reinforcing these socially constructed definitions of race?  What is that teaching people?  Could this lead to racism?  I’m not really sure what to think about this but it has really got me thinking.  Part of me thinks that it is a historical term and that it might be time to steer away from the word race.

No comments:

Post a Comment